Hi Michael,

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 12:23 +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
this patch appears to change the default format for printing via CUPS
from PDF to PostScript.  this was changed from PostScript to PDF in OOo 3.3.

        Urk ! - right, reverting that is not a good fix.

apparently there are some printers or CUPS setups that don't work well
with PDF as a default, the bug appears to have a long CC: list:

        Right - particularly transparency support and other long lists of
horrors with the (by now really obsolete) PostScript.

but i don't think that changing the default format back to PS is the
solution here, because PDF is the designated default print format for
Linux systems:

        Agreed.

the real fix for this is most likely to file bugs against CUPS and/or
specific printer drivers that exhibit these problems, so that we can get
to reliably working PDF printing on Linux systems in time.

        No shortage of horrendous bugs (and code) in CUPS :-)

        I'll poke our CUPS guys to ask what's up.

        Thanks for the nice write-up,

        ATB,

                Michael.