2012/10/31 Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com>:
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote:
On Wednesday 31 of October 2012, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote:
I'd prefer to not bring it back because of a special use case that's
already easily doable as it is.

Well tinderbox works nicely and easily with an autogen.lastrun
associated with a given profile...
messing with env variable is not as neat and is just a pain when
managing many of these profile...
what is the harm of --enable-symbol ?

 ./configure --enable-symbol
 ./configure CXXFLAGS='-Os -g'

 Where's the difference in that?

note: I think the one that should go is dbgutil...
--enable-symbol => release build but with symbols
--enable-debug => debug build (with symbol of course)
extra feature (dbg-util) => --enable-debug + runtime trigger to
activate the 'special' stuff

 How exactly do you envision a runtime trigger that activates binary
incompatibility? Because that's exactly what makes dbgutil different from
debug.

then make dbgutil feature not binary incompatible... I'm not c++
expert, but surely there is ways to provide these extra feature
without touching the interface.
iow having a impl_debug pointer that can be used if not null to do
extra stuff... very low cost for release and flexible for debug..
without the binary incompatibility

enable-dbgutil uses the stl debug libraries which are binary
incompatibel with the normal stl libraries.

I still don't see how the three different switches are confusing:

enable-symbol: only add debugging symbols but still with optimization
enable-debug: additionally no optimization to make it easier to debug
enable-dbgutil: switch to stl debug library + some more stuff (binary
incompatible)

Maybe I'm missing something but they seem to be separated clearly and
each has its own purpose. I think with the argument that you can
specify the parameters in the CXXFLAGS we can also remove enable-debug
and most likely many more.

Regards,
Markus