hi Graham,

On 09/07/12 16:53, Graham Weatherup wrote:

The above link also directs to a description of how to unzip it in
java** so I figured I should be able to zip the files up and open it
again with Open Office. When I zip the files with java.util.zip using
the method here***  the file called ‘mimetype’ comes out “compressed”
but actually bigger and even setting compression off in the its still
bigger but not as much 41bytes vs 43bytes (I don’t remember the numbers
exactly) but not the 39bytes that is required. Also I read on a linux
forum that I cannot find that mimetype has to be ‘at the beginning’ of
the file.

there are very specific requirements on the "mimetype" file that are
likely difficult for generic zip libraries etc.; note that there is an
ODFDOM project that is a Java library that supports the ODF package
specification directly so it makes this kind of thing much easier (it
will also maintain the manifest automatically for you); it is now part
of the Apache ODF Toolkit project.

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/

if you use a generic zip library then you should really read the ODF 1.2
part 3 specification to understand the special requirements.

Also I wonder if there are any files that should be updated if tables
get added etc. any other files in the ODB file?

i'm not familiar with the database part of ODF, but i could imagine it
contains meta-data like column descriptions and such; for details refer
to ODF 1.2 part 1 specification.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office