On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 12:50 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
That way, at least for this specific case of the Desktop service, we
nicely avoid any published-vs.-unpublished problems, anyway:  Leave the
old Desktop service untouched (just mark it as deprecated in favor of
the new), and create a new singleton theDesktop (or even theApplication,
I have no big opinion on what is a good name there) that implements the
new XDesktop2 (or whatever is deemed the best name there).

        Sounds good - I'd prefer Application to the anachronistic Desktop or
worse 'Desktop2' but ... as you like.

queryInterface is largely un-needed with new-style UNO (and not needed
from scripting languages, anyway).

        Ah - good :-) if that's so, I'm much less worried. As long as the
experience is one of lots of type information that doesn't get hidden
behind Any's and turns into a nice deep tree of strongly typed
interfaces I'm excessively happy.

Short of writing, say, IDE plugins that make discoverable the dynamic
set of  services/singletons available in some given UNO environment

        Which sounds like a pain.

 one could envision a special "fat master entity" for such (scripting)
environments, that consists of accessors for all the statically known
services/singletons of udkapi+offapi, say.

        Sure sure - of course, I guess there is a load of unwanted cruft there,
so we can easily get some wood-for-trees problem; IMHO a single, simple
top-level Application object with some easy-to-use methods for simple
use-cases is still a good idea, but - this is a lot better already.

So, I think improving practical usability of UNO is possible without
introducing arbitrary fat helper objects.  All it takes is to finally
and consistently realize those new-style UNO concepts...

        :-) At least, now I remember again what you've been doing here it does
indeed sound rather nice.

        ATB,

                Michael.