i don't really get the point of supporting 2 different crypto
libraries
(given that we don't really offer anything in terms of re-usable
libraries ourselves here, we just ship an application that needs
crypto
stuff done); it just seems to add additional complexity, and bloat to
the installation sets, and we have to keep 2 different bundled
libraries
that do the same thing up to date with security fixes etc.

ACK. But then please use it as directly as possible
(not yet another wrapper around it again).

seems the Fedora project is standardizing on NSS for crypto
applications:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraCryptoConsolidation

Well, typical for a desktop-only distro.

I just can't remember anything on a server system that uses the
typically-netscape-jabba-sized nss (and I cant imagine why I
should ever want that).

Just had a look at the source (3.12.9) - they still include
several 3rdparty libs (including the fat nspr monster)
_in the tree_. Seems they feel great pleasure in making
package maintainer's and systems engineer's life harder.

I would fully support nss, if they would:

#1 get rid of nspr completely
#2 drop all bundled 3rdparty libs
#3 drop the binary key/cert store in favor of pure filesystem-based
   approach (just like w/ openssl)
#3 split it into separate layers in separate libraries

Otherwise it's practical use is limited to pure desktop-only environments.

cu
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Enrico Weigelt
VNC - Virtual Network Consult GmbH
Head Of Development

Äußere Bayreuther Str. 55, D - 90409 Nürnberg
Tel: +49 911 72303-30
Fax: +49 911 72303-50

enrico.weigelt@vnc.biz; www.vnc.de