I'm also very excited about being accepted for taking part in GSoC this
year.

Welcome!

To make up for the fact that I can't devote all my time to the project (due
to exams) until the middle of June, I'll be starting on the coding quite
soon.

In your proposal you said from "middle of April", so let's hope this
doesn't slip too much.

Have you already managed to get a build of LibreOffice? Please hang
around on the developer IRC channel, #libreoffice-dev on freenode, and
don't be afraid to ask even what seems like silly questions publicly.

One point I'm not yet too certain about is how the Libreoffice component
will be written, I think it would be most elegant to write a GPL'd python
plugin, mainly since the only cross platform bluetooth library is for
python,

Which library is that? http://lightblue.sourceforge.net/ ? That says
"This project is no longer maintained" and the latest update is from
2009, which doesn't seem too encouraging. Also, its cross-platformness
seems to have a glaring omission: Windows.

Personally I am not really Python-knowledgeable, so if I am to be a
co-mentor for this project, I wouldn't really be able to help much in
Python-related issues. And trust me, there will be, in a
cross-platform environment like LO, which uses a bundled Python 2.6 on
some platforms/configurations vs. the system ones on others (which can
(presumably) be quite varying versions).

I wonder, if using Bluetooth has cross-platform issues, if it would be
easier to initially use just plain old IP (over WiFi)? Are Bluetooth
APIs really platform-specific?

and released under the GPL (but then having a GPL'd plugin would
probably mean it would have to be distributed separately).

Hmm, I am not sure about this, I think we would much prefer to have
the code as C++ code inside LO itself, and thus licensed as LGPL/MPL
(the combination which we use for all newly written code).

--tml