I seem to recall that XCode 3.2 looks for a /Developer folder in the
root of your disk to install to,

Well, that is the default installation folder for old Xcodes, yes;
presumably if you accept the default it will be created if necessary,
it doesn't have to exist. It doesn't "look" for it as far as I know.

but on Lion I think that Apple got rid
of this folder (maybe that was your problem ?).

The earlier versions of Xcode 4 apparently renamed an old /Developer
that contained Xcode 3 to /Developer-old if you chose to install (the
eralier) Xcode 4 into its default location, /Developer.

The current Xcode 4 is a "pure" app, distributed through the Mac App
Store, all that is installed is the app bundle,
/Applications/Xcode.app, which then has the binaries and SDKs (10.6
and 10.7) etc below it. With the current Xcode there is no /Developer
at all.

(In addition then, if you in Xcode tell it to download and install the
additional "command-line tools", it will install stuff like
/usr/bin/gcc. Not entirely sure if that is where those come from,
haven't tried on a clean 10.7 to install the current Xcode.)

Our configure.in doesn't attempt to use tools and SDKs under
/Applications/Xcode.app at all yet. If you have the current Xcode and
insist on trying building with it, you will have to pass in a bunch of
options and/or environment variables.

Maybe if you create the folder Developer, and then try
reinstalling 3.2 to it ?

No need to create the folder first, surely. Until Laurent tells
exactly what his problem was, no use guessing.

Then, if you also want the latest XCode, move
the Developer folder elsewhere whilst you install XCode 4 and simply
just shove it back into place once you've finished ?

As I said above, the current Xcode doesn't use any /Developer folder at all.

--tml