On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:06:41AM +0000, Arnold Bailson wrote:
I realize that this may not be the right place for this suggestion. If that is
so, my apologies: please pass it on to the correct place.

I now have macular degeneration in my second eye. I find it convenient when
reading to use a hand-held lighted magnifier and this has brought very clearly
to my attention the business of moving attention across the page and then
backtracking to the beginning of the next line.
.
I imagine it would not be insurmountably difficult to lay out alternate lines
im opposite directions  and this would remove the problem of wobbling onto the
wrong line on the way back. If we could re-train are hence so as to read in
alternating directions this might greatly improve the speed and comfort of
reading for everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon

“The old fellows stole all our best ideas!” — Frederic Goudy

Regards,
 Khaled