On 02/29/2012 06:41 PM, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 02:57:09PM +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
Note that the stable sal interface historically stays clear of
boost, because of differences in the various boost versions
available in the various environments.

OK, two prongs:

1) Use of boost in rtl/ustring.hxx

    But this is completely header-only code, so no ABI probl...^W Ah
    no, you are right; if the size or memory layout of a
    boost::u16_to_u32_iterator changes, there will be problems when
    passing a const_iterator between old binaries and new binaries.

Even if it were header-only, it would not work with the current setup (where the SDK does not include any boost headers).

    So here's the patch for a boost-free OUString, with manually
    implemented const_iterator.

Which is a bit of a pain, for sure. Would it be an option to extract const_iterator and begin/end from OUString to outside the URE interface (see below) and use some sort of adapter around OUString in those places that expect it to support begin/end?

Another option would be to allow boost in the URE interface (hence the "historically" above), but that would require some thought/work.

2) So, OK if we don't put the LibO<->spirit integration in sal/,
    what's the right place? In tools? I didn't envision it becoming
    part of our "external" ABI, only for internal use in LibO's source
    code.

comphelper or unotools come to mind.

Stephan