On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 18:40 +0100, Eike Rathke wrote:
As soon as Calc will use OUString instead of String for cell content and
formula results exactly that will happen..

        :-)

I've seen Calc abused as a front end for some sort of web CMS, holding
entire HTML "template" fragments in one cell ... complaint was that not
more than 64k characters would fit into a formula result when
concatenating those ...

        Sure - so, then I guess we need to be slightly careful about those code
paths.

People also complained about Writer paragraphs being limited to 64k
characters ... that's ~15 pages of eye-tiring continuous lines, but ...

        Right - but - what failure mode are we going to have here ? so we
manage somehow to catch a std::bad_alloc exception - what do we do
then ? beyond hitting something like the crash handler it's hard to know
what: refusing to load the document, discarding existing document
state ? [ do we want a "per document crash" functionality ? ;-]

I doubt anyone would actually do that, so we could only hope for memory
allocation exiting the application gracefully in that case.

        Sure - no doubt we'll get a NULL pointer back at some stage and
beautifully de-reference it ;-) so - I don't know that even the dumb
things that people use writer / calc for justify the exception - unless
we have some sensible and user-comprehensible strategy for cleaning up
after it.

        All the best,

                Michael.