It just occurred to me, if you disable Basic... How about add-ons and extensions? For example, I frequently use an add-on / extension to format certain types of text.

Sadly, I am not in a position to enumerate the extent of the limitations if Basic is disabled. If simply disabling the IDE is sufficient, that may work, but, I would then be curious as to what happens if an extension fails in a way that would normally dump you in the IDE. Now that I think about it, I can't say for sure that this ever occurs, I just pretty much always have the IDE open, so, any errors usually focus the IDE (or at least allow me to see them there).