Hi Dominic,

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 11:30 -0500, Dominic Woolf wrote:
I'm new to this list and don't know my way around the LO code or data
files, but I'm happy to help put some time into developing a solution
to this problem if someone could give me a few pointers about how to
get started.

        Sounds lovely :-)

The default settings for charts are not to everyones taste (symbol
size, gid on/off, axis/title fonts, line width, ticks in/out etc.
etc...).

        Right - I always like my stacked charts to be really stacked eg. ;-)

  At present it is necessary to edit all these features on a chart
every time you create one to fit your personal style preferences.  For
those of us that produce a lot of charts/graphs this can be very
onerous.  It would be great to be able to edit and save the default
values for all chart features.  At present only the default colour
pallette can be changed.

        Right. So I guess saving the last settings for each chart type so that
they are the defaults when that is selected again might work for you ? I
guess you want code pointers to where the chart dialog lives ?

chart2/source/controller/dialogs/dlg_CreationWizard.cxx

        is probably your friend.

        for persisting settings, you'll want to use the configuration code
which lurks in configmgr/ (well thats' the implementation of the UNO
interfaces you'll need to use), and the configuration schemas -
describing each key are in officecfg, digging around nearby:

officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/ChartWindowState.xcu

        might help you trace back some of the settings that the Chart stuff
already has (assuming that is the right thing).

        Is that what you're looking for ? hope it helps, as a chart user, I'm
looking forward to seeing what you come up with :-)

        All the best,

                Michael.