Hi Tim !

On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 23:02 +0000, Tim Retout wrote:
I'd like to try to clean up some of the code in the solenv Perl
modules

        Cool ! it is long overdue.

 - as a first task, I want to turn on 'use strict', which I'd
consider a bare minimum for maintainable Perl.  Longer-term,
Perl::Critic flags up lots of nice stuff, and then there's performance
and so on.

        Great stuff.

My first few attempts at this have ended up ballooning into large
tasks - for instance, there seem to be lots of unused subroutines in
the installer code, which could safely be removed.  But I then end up
not sending in any patches, and have no idea if I'm going way beyond
what's acceptable. :)

        Oh - well; I would imagine that the installer code is riddled with
unused stuff, certainly ! :-) a lot of this perl appears to have written
by rather inexperienced perl programmers, without a very deep
understanding (I'm afraid). So - if you see lots of low hanging fruit,
that's because it is there ;-)

        Also the 'make_installer.pl' takes about 20 options, AFAIR there are
however only a few legitimate parameters / configurations that are
possible in the LibreOffice world.

        So - digging out the call sites (luckily the ooinstall wrapper seems to
have swallowed most of them outside of instsetoo_native) and simplifying
those paths would prolly expose much more redundancy to perl.

So here's a first small patch that should be quite safe.

        Pushed; thanks :-)

One thing I'd like to check: is the best way to test make_installer.pl to run:

  source config_host.mk
  solenv/bin/ooinstall /tmp/foo

        Norbert reports you want:

        make cmd cmd="solenv/bin/ooinstall ..."

(I get a few errors when sourcing config_host.mk.)

        Potentially you can make cmd cmd=bash :-)

I've added my name to
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Developers with a link
to my previous license statement on the mailing list.

        Great ! looking forward to your efforts here, there is a lot of dunging
out to do.

        All the best,

                Michael.