On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Cor Nouws wrote:

But the quick look I had at the rough list in the train this morning, showed crashes and such but as far as I could judge with special documents. Great issues to solve for the next release(s) ...

I can demonstrate issues with some filters during conversions, and when generating (incorrect) Flat ODF have had crashes too (reported). Do we have tests doing automated QA (conversions) to test export filters and are we using fuzzing techniques to test our import filters ?

The conversion problems have not been reported yet, but I am sure if we throw more example documents (maybe from Google ?) at it we'll find a lot more problems in an automated fashion.

I remember at the LibreConference that Gabriel Monnerat of cloudooo fame was reporting the same problems and reported 10% conversion errors (LibO crashes and filter errors) on a set of 100.000 internet documents. Gabriel implemented various techniques to make his setup more resillient (killing run-away and memory-leaked instances, restarting on crashes and filter instabilities) bringing this number down to 1.1%. Which proves that the majority of these issues are not necessarily reproducable.

I am interested in this, both because it helps making unoconv a better tool, but also because it will learn me how to report such issues and who to address them to.

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, info@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/