On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

The secret is that the LO installation sets available from <http://www.libreoffice.org/download> are built with implicit --without-system-stdlibs, so they bring along ure/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 and ure/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (which the programs in the LO installation, like program/soffice.bin and program/python.bin, pick up at runtime).

For reasons that still escape me, this causes exception-handling trouble for LO 3.5 program/python (which happens to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, maybe that makes a difference), but apparently not for LO 3.5 program/soffice, nor reportedly for LO 3.4 program/python (as reported by Dag).

Right, loading the uno module using /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/python.bin works. (Except it fails in other ways that require LD_LIBRARY_PATH, e.g. /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/pyuno.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_GetSize)

Removing /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 and /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib/libstdc++.so.6 made the problem go away for me on Fedora 16 x86_64.

Petr, the best approach might be to build the "official" Linux LO installation sets with explicit --with-system-stdlibs, so that the installation sets do not bring along their own libgcc_s.so.1 and libstdc++.so.6. If the installation sets are built on a sufficiently old baseline system, it should be a pretty safe bet that each box on which they are installed bring along sufficiently new versions of those libs as part of the system.

Would that be possible before the 3.5 release ?

Apart from that, Dag, the only safe solution, in principle, is to use a version of LO that is specificially built for the machine it is run on (i.e., use a LO installation provided by the respective distro).

I agree, up to the point that I am mostly interested in RHEL5 and RHEL6 and that would mean... ... OpenOffice 3.1.1 or 3.2.1 :-/

But in general the official RPM packages work fine, and I think there's a benefit in keeping this working (if practical possible).

Thanks for your insights !

PS I am at FOSDEM and missed you twice at the booth. Can I offer a free beer for your help ? :)
--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, info@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/