Hi Matteo,

sorry for the lag, hope you had a great holiday season -

Matteo Casalin wrote:
    just and after-thought: some of the cleaned-up I/Os regard
variables of type "long" (Pair, Rectangle...). I was afraid this
could be platform dependent, but it seems that SvStream casts them
to int "if(SAL_TYPES_SIZEOFLONG != 4)". The question then becomes:
do that data really need to be of type long? Rectangle, for example,
are widely used, and type long doubles their size in 64-bit
machines.

Yes, it looks unfortunate. Problem is, this type is exposed on the
class interface, so you'll create substantial follow-on work on all
places that work with those values. It might not be worth the
effort, e.g. vcl is full of long arithmetic.

I plan to fix some issues I noticed in ValueSet handling (color
selection in option dialog). I also would like to reduce memory
footprint of that code (e.g. ValueSetItem: use a union instead of
allocating multiple data types which are handled in a mutually
exclusive way. I think that a template with specializations would be
overkill in this case, but any suggestion regarding this is really
welcome: maybe unions are not appreciated).

First check if that's worth the effort - how many instances are
typically created? Unions are fine I guess - or have a look at

 http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/doc/html/any.html

Cheers,

-- Thorsten