If there is no living upstream, surely we shouldn't let the current state of affairs hold us back?
Why not add the features we need, and remove --with-system-cppunit?

I see unit-testing as a project-internal thing anyhow, and it's a build-time dependency, not a
run-time dependency, so I
don't see --with-system-cppunit as being that important.
But I could be wrong?

I'd just hate to see our unit-testing efforts held back by the lack of an upstream....