On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:08:51AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 01:49 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

Note that we still (maybe?) have a GPL problem with using the C++
connector. Maybe, because MySQL stuff used to not be straight-GPL,
but GPL + exceptions for open source projects.

      So - we are an LGPL project as a tactic, (...)

      Bundling with MySQL's (IMHO horribly busted) weirdo license connector:
which is effectively a GPL licensed piece. Asking ISVS to GPL all
their software (or pay money to Oracle not to) by linking
effectively GPL mysql stuff into our core seems rather non-optimal.

I'd say "not acceptable" :)

I'll take "ISV" as "provider of an extension for LibO".

With a quick reading of the MySQL/Oracle FLOSS exception, I thought
the exception was saying that ISVs were allowed to distribute
proprietary extensions to LibO-bundled-with-MySQL/Conn/C++ without
getting a commercial licence on MySQL/Conn/C++ (unless their software
links directly and independently of LibO with the connector), because
we were allowed to distribute LibO under the LGPL/MIT, while still
linking it with MySQL Connector/C++. Essentially, you are saying the
exception is narrower than what I was reading from it. <shrug>

I recognise that even under my broader reading, there is still a
remaining problem: ISVs are not allowed to bundle on a single
"distribution medium" LibO-with-MySQL/Conn/C++ with their proprietary
extension.

--
LIonel