Cor Nouws wrote (18-11-11 10:04)
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=plugfests:201111_gouda:info

The second day:

- There is a lot of good work presented at the plugfest.
All kind of applications supporting ODF, and also offering partly support in the browser, on iOS, Android, ... - There was the news about an IBM Lotus Symphony Viewer, an ODF viewer for Android and iOS.
  - WebODF brings partial support to all kind of devised too.
- The Abiword guys hacked an initial version for Abiword in browser (with GTK+3) - possibly inspired by the work from Michael ;-) - And we saw quite some companies that have been able to rapidly developed (specific) ODF producing web-applications. To me, it's all good and encouraging to see - the whole ODF ecosystem is an important area that grows, and where LibreOffice is making a substantial contribution.

- Then was some other interesting stuff on interoperability at the plugfest. Two things about features not (yet) included in ODF.
  - One is Unique features fallback
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=scenarios:20111118:uniquefeatures
Objective: an alternative way (fall back) to present the data in application that do not (yet) support the feature.
  - The second: RDF
Objective: prevent that data that is not (yet) supported in other application gets lost when round tripping with those other pps. Metadata plays a role in this.

I was not really concentrated on details of this subject, but if I got it right, some other apps already work with this (to a certain extend maybe).
To me that sounds as a smart thing for the ODF ecosystem.
What do others think?

- Talking ODF ecosystem, there was the interesting presentation by Bjorn Lundell about Document formats & office applications in the Swedish public sector. It showed the importance of having a real open standard as ODF for governments and other administrations. He also showed that LibreOffice is having a balanced community for sustainable support of ODF. The charts he had about division of developers over various groups, were essentially the same that I showed in my presentation.

- Of course he also referred to a different kind of interoperability.
That a the subject already prominently covered with the presentation about Libvisio - the library for importing Visio documents. Thanks for that Fridirch. Sorry that I missed the opportunity to say goodbye to you in Gouda ;-)

- Back to Björn from Sweden: we also discussed about the very few people from Sweden that join e.g. on our marketing list. A pity when it comes to sharing important announcements. So that's something that is going to change.

Finally I need to repeat this:

And - before I forget it in my next report: kudos for the people
organising the event. Great work!

Next April in Brussels, hosted by Microsoft.

--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org