Hi Winfried,

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 11:54 +0100, Winfried Donkers wrote:
How do I update my local sources to the current (latest) master with
git?

        Ah - it is a trick indeed :-) As Christina says - if you have commited
you can 'git pull -r' which will re-base your commit on top of the
latest code it fetches.

        Unfortunately, if someone tweaked your commit as they pushed it - that
is a tad problematic since you may get conflicts that are hard to
resolve.

        I'd personally recommend:

        git stash
        git pull -r
        git stash pop

        Then any conflicts you'll end up with (hopefully) are minimal, can be
easliy seen with 'git diff' and will not require much further
intervention ;-)

Is 'git checkout' the proper way (run from the directory where .git
is)?

        So - checkout is fine; but if you are sure you have your changes safely
stored as a diff somewhere - then what you can do is to re-wind your
checkout (HEAD) back, and then re-base that; so ...

        git tag -f here # just in case - so you can get back
        git stash # in case of any un-committed local changes
        git reset --hard HEAD~100 # move 100 commits back in time
        git pull -r # pull & re-base master from this point

        the last command will re-insert any of those 100 commits that were not
your local edited copies, and of course all the latest changes it has
pulled from master too.

I have some more german-english translations for sc/source/ui/view,
but I want to make sure that I use the latest source files before I
commit my lines.

        Great :-) so - it seems unlikely that the code there will have changed
that much, but it's always good to check.

        Don't worry: git has a steep learning curve - steep enough that I still
have a vivid memory of climbing it ;-) when you get to the top you'll
think[1] it was worth it though. Looking forward to your patch & thanks
for helping out with the comment translation,

        Much appreciated,

                Michael.

[1] - hard to tell if it really was of course, but you think so ;-)