My cross-posting to dev and qa lists is deliberate; if you
find that it is the wrong thing to do, I shall have to
apologize.

On the dev list,
On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 10:31 -0400, Terrence Enger wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion in the past about raised
assertions and how seriously they should be treated.  Is
there a current concensus?

I raise the question again for no better reason than that
even a newbie like me can see a raised assertion and collect
a backtrace.  Guidance welcome.

And on the dev list,