Hi Timothy,

On Sun, 2011-10-30 at 21:54 -0500, Timothy Pearson wrote:
I have created a patch that enables Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE, the
successor to KDE3.5.10) desktop integration for LibreOffice.  The patch is
based against a copy of the LibreOffice GIT pulled on 10/28/2011 and has
been tested as fully functional on the latest TDE release (v3.5.13).

        Great ! :-) you managed to get past the vcl updates we did recently,
which is good.

This move is required for continued desktop integration support on TDE

        So - of course, we're interested in included your code, and supporting
TDE. The only real question is: how best to do that in a clean and
maintainable way - particularly as we start to change VCL more
aggressively.

as TDE has diverged significantly enough from the old KDE 3.5.10 release API
that the KDE3 integration modules no longer function within TDE desktop
sessions.

        Fine.

  Additionally, we would like to ability to repair minor
imperfections noted within the integration modules, and potentially expand
the integration module(s) where needed.

        Great.

The Trinity Desktop Project developers are willing to ensure that the TDE
integration modules continues to function with new TDE releases.

        Even better - it is already quite hard to test VCL changes that impact
the backend, so the more we can share there the more easily we can keep
your stuff building.

The patch file is available in our GIT tree here:
http://git.trinitydesktop.org/viewgit/index.php?a=tree&p=Trinity%20Desktop%20Environment&hb=HEAD&f=main/thirdparty/libreoffice/git_10_28_2011/patches

        So - my normal instinct here would be to merge your first patch
immediately :-) and do a little dance as well.

        In this case, I think we need to consider maintainability quite
carefully, and perhaps there are a few tricks here that we can do to
reduce the amount of work and code duplication necessary to support TDE
just as well.

        Lets discuss that privately with Lubos, but I think we can get this
fixed up and merged for the 3.5 release (freeze is Dec 5th) quite
easily.

        Thanks for your work !

        Regards,

                Michael.