On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 15:11 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
With LibO today, there is no real need for that split any longer, so it
only complicates our code base.  I would undo it in incremental steps

        Sounds beautiful to me :-) [ though somewhat sad of course in general
]. Hopefully it'll save a few stats / path lookups at startup as well.

One consequence would be that the 3.5 package and file system layout
would differ rather substantially from the 3.4 one (so that, e.g.,
using some form of delta packages to upgrade from 3.4 to 3.5 would
not be a good idea, if anybody wanted to do something like that anyway).

        Hopefully we do enough ABI related & other changes that deltas are not
that relevant anyway.

(There is also a URE/rest split, which I will not touch for now.  At
least Debian seems to be interested in having a stand alone URE on top
of which sits a LibO alongside potentially more apps.)

        IMHO, we need to drop the URE too - leaving only a vestigal skeleton of
back-compatible ure stub libraries that are linked to the main 'monster'
Link Time Optimised library (with them included).

So, if you see any issue with this, please make yourself heard.

        None here - nice work :-)

        Thanks,

                Michael.