The question is, is the below patch (which makes that subsequentcheck
failure go away) right in adapting the failing test to the new code, or
does this failure actually uncover unwanted side effects of the new code
(I'm esp. unsure about changing "A. 1." to "A 1")?

The approach is too simple. The first problem is that the level separator is not necessarily a "."
(and is configurable at each level in other word processors). Also, while it is understandable in
the case described it is not necessarily the desired always especially for lists with multiple
levels. When in the configuration options of a list there should be a toggle for whether to remove
the final list level separation suffix in references. I don't see removing internal separators (or
level prefix) and I can see that sometime a user might not want the trailing suffix removed.

Neil Leathers