On 29.07.2011, at 21:04, Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org> wrote:
I was looking onto installed files by the libreoffice default install
method and noticed that they are not world writable.

This is caused by definition in bootstrap/scp2/inc/macros.inc around
line 94 where it says:

#define BIN_FILE_BODY \
       UnixRights   = 555

#define TXT_FILE_BODY \
       UnixRights   = 444

It would make much more sense to install files with perms for the owner
to write into them I would say so straight forward change to 755 and 644
is what I am thinking about.

The problem might be for installations where owner is not root and that
owner might want to manage the installation (things like Gentoo prefix).

I would say that write protection for owner is usually required only on
files where it is really really really important they are not altered
directly by user, stuff like /etc/sudoers and similar stuff.

Sounds reasonable.  I never understood the rationale behind non-writable for user, either.  Looks
like a somewhat misguided attempt at protecting the user from silly mistakes.

-Stephan