On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 09:29:27AM +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 18:12 +0200, Francois Tigeot wrote:
The implementation of open-url.sh has to be fixed but besides changing the
program names to more modern equivalents, I've no real idea how it should be
done.

I seem to recall that the open-url thing is sort of the ultimate
fallback, would sort of expect a few desktop-specific things to be tried
first, e.g. gnome-open-url, kde-open-url, xdg-open.

These are tried into open-url.sh (well, at least xdg-open, and it tries all
the gnome, kde and such tricks).

I see you added firefox, so problem gone, but I wonder what desktop
environment you were using, xfce or something like that ?

As a matter of fact, firefox was already in the list. It just is no longer
installed.
I'm not running a desktop environment on the machine where the problem
occurred either: only windowmaker + bits of kde 3.5...

Oh, and by the way there are some "Internet" related options accessible from
the Tools / Options menu :
  - choice of proxy

hmm, this defaults to "none" here, I would expect it to default to
"system". One can ./soffice http://somelocation/thing.odt and it "should
work", so not crazy.

Well, it does'nt: no error message. LO just doesn't run.

  - search engine (with preselected choices from the 90s: Altavista, ...)

I think we discussed already that we can/should remove these (and their
help docs too), they seem rather less that useful, and horribly out of
date anyway. In fact, I don't see them here on a master one, so I think
we already removed those.

You're right, they aren't present on the latest master, only on a 3-week-old
installation.

  - browser plugin

We do have a browser plugin for firefox/etc. which shows .odt etc
documents inline in firefox, so that toggle really does something :-)

Huh? You mean LibreOffice itself can be used as a firefox plugin ?
The mind boggles...

--
Francois Tigeot