Hi *,

Michael Meeks wrote (23-06-11 20:27)

* Release quality / complaints ... (Cor / Italo / Olivier)
        + presenters not present

Apologies for that - but it was about what I expected. (Have to try to focus on making a living during the day-hours ;-) )

        + extend the feature-freeze period for 3.5 ?
                + Norbert: may not help people fix things, just move
                  their work to the next generation.
                + Petr: earlier Beta / Alpha releases ? need to be useable
                  and QA done continuously / before freeze as well.
                + Norbert: 3.4 impacted by merging m106, don't have this
                  issue next time around
                + Caolan: nightly builds are now working, and should help
                  get QA access to the code, and insight into progress
                + Caolan: more automatic regression tests are coming too
                + Rainer: not much penetration in QA team of nightly
                  snapshots, most don't know where to find them.
AA:             + check out nightlies, and encourage others to use (Rainer)
                + Nobert: treat feature-freeze as a release for QA purposes ?
                + Caolan: master perception - should be always ok, ready to ship
                  at any time - not actually broken modulo occasional build issues
        + the future should not be as bad as the 3.4.0 panic.

Thanks for discussing the subject and the ideas brought forward.

I am quite optimistic about what we will achieve in the future (...) and very positive about our improvements.
On the other hand, we do not yet know how
 - the time of the year (Christmas, Western New year);
 - the speed of the growth of people involved in QA;
- the fact that QA-time has to be devided among various versions simultaneously,
 - etc,
will affect the reality in 6 months from now :-)

Plus - especially with the unfortunate experience from 3.4.0, and to do something good for users, testers, marketing etc - IMO it is better that in the end we have three weeks extra, than that we lack three days.
So I would really love to be on the save side ..

However, we do not have to decide that exactly right now, do we?!
So, imagine we would choose for say a three or four weeks extra between freeze and release, when should that have to be decided? Somewhere September, early October? Then we can hold on the detailed discussion and decision on this subject until then..

Sounds OK?

Best,

--
 - Cor