The pool allocator stuff which G_SLICE disables has memcheck markup in
it already, it already gets used if the valgrind headers are available
at build-time so in theory we could just stuff the header in
unconditionally and always build with memcheck-detectable memory pool
foo.

In practice I find marking up with the memcheck macros is difficult
to make work well.  Even if you succeed in identifying the block
boundaries correctly, it tends to shout a lot when it sees the
allocator messing with the block metadata (freelist maintenance etc).
With a bunch of hoop-jumping you might be able to make it work, but
even then it tends to be fragile and have nasty corner cases, particularly
if you have any realloc-style stuff to annotate.

The simplest and most effective fix imo is to have some big switch
you can throw, that simply makes all allocation go via standard
malloc/free for the whole stack.  I've done tons of valgrinding of
Firefox, which has similar problems, and this solution works best.

glib/gtk2 stuff, we picked G_SLICE to turn off our mempool allocator,
because that's what glib uses to turn off its mempool allocator so we
can turn the whole stack memcheck friendly in one swoop.

Right.  That sounds like a sane approach to me.  What's the element
of doubt here?