When totally removing the directory the file is in while editing it in
writer, Writer detects this by disabling the "Save" option in the
menu. This is the right reaction.

       And of course, getting some clean notifications of file-system state
allow us to do that, perhaps we need more.

Please how is this detected. Does writer use a sort of eventloop,
(like with epoll), and listning among others to the fd for the file??
Must be, for writer te react the way it does.

b. the gentle way. It should be possible somehow that the system
informs the app (here writer) that the underlying filesystem will be
unmounted

       it is somewhat unusual for this to happen; however on Linux at least
'lsof' on the device / mount-point can tell you what processes are using
that file-system, which -should- be convert-able into some pretty user
display: "please save and close LibreOffice documents open on this
drive" (or whatever).

Does anyone knows a way to inform an app for this purpose, and if so,
do you think it's a good idea to add this sort of functionality to
LibreOffice:

       I would suspect it is quicker and easier to add it in a more generic
way that would identify apps at the OS level; then you get it for ~free
for everything else too.

Yes that;s also a good sollution. The pid's of the apps are available,
so it's easy to show the list with the apps.

Nay I ask you why the "Uhm" when I mentioned my construction. Is it
too "strange"??

Stef

       HTH,

               Michael.