Hi Michael,

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@novell.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 08:48 -0400, Allen Pulsifer wrote:
1. TDF takes OOo under the Apache License and combines it with LO
contributions under the LGPL/MPL and licenses the combined work
(LibreOffice) under both the LGPL and MPL?

       So if we say MPLv2 and LGPLv3+ - that is fine; and the resulting code
would be under those (compatible) licenses. Which are copy-left.

2. A third party takes OOo under the Apache License and combines it with LO
contributions under the MPL and proprietary closed-source code of its own to
create a proprietary closed-source product?

       If they have changed the MPL code modules - they need to release those
changes; otherwise (since the MPL is a weak-copy-left) they can not
release other changes (like extensions) they bundle - obviously.

That would not however stop third parties from combining the
Apache OpenOffice code with LibreOffice code and doing with that whatever
both licenses allowed.

       Sure - one example is IBM, they have a load of MPL code, and even LGPL
code in Lotus Symphony. Amusingly, IBM are far more pragmatic in
practise than ASF is - one of the tragic ironies of the situation.

I guess it would be useful to create a wiki page with a FAQ about
these license topics :)

--
Jesús Corrius <jesus@softcatala.org>
Document Foundation founding member