Le 24/05/11 11:43, Michael Meeks a écrit :

Hi Michael,

      Hmm :-) it seems unlikely that there are truly invalid instructions
generated by the compiler [ although compiler bugs are not unknown ],
and more likely that the profiling tool is incomplete (to me at least).

OK, I was just playing around, I don't really have any experience of
profiling, so I found the tool that Apple made available and poked the
soffice process. Shark produces a lot of output and one can linked the
assembler instructions to the corresponding source code, inlcuding
outputting a nice graph (although I don't really see much point in it,
but maybe I haven't understood its full potential). However, the output
only seems to be of any use with another version of Shark itself, so
limited to the Mac platform.

I have no idea how or if these are handled, presumably by SIGILL ?

      They would cause a nice shutdown/crash sequence I guess, but I doubt
this is the problem.

      One thing you can do that would be incredibly useful, is to get
valgrind running on the mac: this might help:

      http://www.sealiesoftware.com/valgrind/

I've been trying to get valgrind to work, but for some reason it fails
to start the office application. If I try, from within
/Applications/LibreOffice/Contents, :

valgrind --tool=memcheck --num-callers=50 --trace-children=yes
./MacOS/swriter 2>1 | tee /Users/alex/valgrind.log

It fails, and nothing is written to the log. If I remove the output to
log file instruction, I get an error on the console :

==50334== HEAP SUMMARY:
==50334==     in use at exit: 17,496 bytes in 3 blocks
==50334==   total heap usage: 3 allocs, 0 frees, 17,496 bytes allocated
==50334==
==50334== LEAK SUMMARY:
==50334==    definitely lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==50334==    indirectly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==50334==      possibly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==50334==    still reachable: 17,496 bytes in 3 blocks
==50334==         suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==50334== Rerun with --leak-check=full to see details of leaked memory
==50334==
==50334== For counts of detected and suppressed errors, rerun with: -v
==50334== ERROR SUMMARY: 0 errors from 0 contexts (suppressed: 0 from 0)
./MacOS/swriter: line 4:
/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice: cannot execute
binary file
./MacOS/swriter: line 4:
/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice: Unknown error: 0
==50330==

However, if I just try and start the office with :

./MacOS/swriter

the damn writer app starts up !!

My understanding so far from what I have read on using valgrind on
MacOSX is that it is fairly tricky, and not all of its functionality
available on other OSes is completely supported, so I'm a bit stuck at
the moment.

Alex