On Wednesday, May 11, 2011, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@novell.com>
wrote:
Hi Norbert,

       Julian tells me that valgrind works nicely on Mac;

Indeed. I just downloaded the lastest source tarball...
./configure/make/make install  straight up, no problem
and it works too :-) even cachegind

Yell if you need any help.  The OSX port is pretty good, but it is not
quite as solid as Linux, and LO is a pretty big stress test :-)

You will need to run V with "--dsymutil=yes" since you will not get any
line number info in the output without it.

I assume you're using Xcode 3.2.x.  Builds of the 3.6.1 tarball on
Xcode 4.0.x segfault at startup, although this is fixed in our svn
trunk now.

I suggest an optimal CXXFLAGS for building LO for valgrinding is
"-g -O", which gives a good tradeoff between valgrindability and
performance.  You can use of course use -g -O0 (no optimisation),
but that majorly slows down V because -O0 largely disables register
allocation, and means V has to check many more memory accesses.
The same advice goes for folks running on Linux, btw.

If it's any use .. we just merged a GDB server into V (trunk), so
you can use GDB to "drive" V if you want.