Hello,

2011/5/1 Ryan Jendoubi <ryan.jendoubi@gmail.com>

 Hello Arnaud,

On 01/05/11 15:26, Arnaud Versini wrote:

I've tried this system with some problems :

   - I can't build it, it needs some notable modifications before being
   usable with wxWidgets 2.8.
   - this solution needs wxWidgets, I dont know if it's a problem but LibO
   download size increase with.

Is it the good way?

Thanks for looking into it. Some points:

1) I'm not at all sure WinSparkle is the way to go, given that it only
works on Windows. Even if the work is relevant to Mac as well, given that WS
is 'heavily inspired' by Sparkle, if it doesn't do at least *nix as well
we're going to end up with parallel update systems. I think we should
continue looking for a cross-platform solution for this.

I haven't tried WinSparkle but webupdate, the multi plateform update system
using wxWidgets. I will try winsparkel later.

2) OTOH, I haven't looked into how Sparkle / WinSparkle work, particularly
how they package updates. The appcasts concept sounds simple and elegant,
which makes it smell technically attractive to me as well, so my only
question mark is how updates as actually packaged / applied. IF, through
study of the Sparkle / WinSparkle systems, it turns out that the same
packaging / patch applying method could work on *nix as well, then maybe
this could be a fruitful direction to go in.

3) From my extremely limited knowledge of Wx, I know that it's far from
monolithic. There are umpteen shared libraries that all do various bits and
pieces. The problem Wx might pose would depend on what bits we need. I know
there are 'low-level' Wx libraries that abstract system utilities-type
stuff, which can be used entirely separately from any graphical libs.
Depending on what WinSparkle needs one might be (should be?) able to do the
GUI part using GUI components already in LO.

4) There have been proposals of refactoring all GUI components out of LO
and using a third party GUI library. Some people recommended Qt, for a
variety of reasons I'd recommend Wx instead. It would be an ungodly huge job
of course, but maybe the experience of tinkering with incorporating an
external GUI lib with LO code would be profitable for future development.

Yes but it's not an update system problem, but a more global problem, so I
think we could wait until there is a decision concerning the usage of a
toolkit

5) The other way to go is just examine how the (Win)Sparkle system works
and emulate it using LO components. It'd be cross-platform because LO
components are already. Again, the magic would seem to be in how updates are
packaged and applied.

Yes off course, OOo have an update system?

... make of that what you will :-p

-r