On Wednesday 27 of April 2011, Christian Dywan wrote:
Am 27.04.2011 13:01:36 schrieb Christoph Noack:
Just a small question ... do I get it right that the disabled menu items
get hidden instead of being "grayed out"? Real interest: could you
please explain what the rationale for the change is? As far as I know,
there is currently no platform guideline that requires that (or even
allows that) - but I might be wrong.

Yes, disabled becomes hidden effectively. That is *current* behaviour on
all systems as far as I can tell, so I'm not introducing anything new, to
make that clear. I explicitly want to change this for GTK+ because it is
wrong behaviour.

As far as I know, OS X and KDE are the only platforms doing this (I'll
ignore Maemo). I don't know the exact guideline, I didn't find clear
documentation about it but for example the web page context menu on OS X
does it and editor popups I saw in KDE. That said, Lubos or anyone else,
please correct me if my observation is wrong, I'll adapt the patch
accordingly.

 I'm not aware of KDE hidding any disabled menu items anywhere, AFAIK they
always get just greyed out. I don't have any access to OS X, so I don't know
there, but a google query turned up [*], which also seems to just do that
instead of hiding.

[*] http://macintopics.com/media/2010/06/context-menu-text-substitutions.jpg

--
 Lubos Lunak