On 2011-04-01 at 13:42 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

I am the author of a tool called unoconv. It's a tool that uses the pyuno
bindings to allow non-interactive conversions using OpenOffice
import/export filters.

     http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/unoconv/

I plan to support and track LibreOffice development in the future, but I
currently am having difficulties using the provided python binary and the
provided pyuno.so.

Thank you very much for adding LibreOffice support!  Just one note -
LibreOffice can convert between various formats itself from the command
line, see the LibreOffice's -help:

-infilter=<filter>
     Force an input filter type if possible
     Eg. -infilter="Calc Office Open XML"
-convert-to output_file_extension[:output_filter_name] [-outdir
ouput_dir] files
     Batch convert files.
     If -outdir is not specified then current working dir is used as
output_dir.
     Eg. -convert-to pdf *.doc
         -convert-to pdf:writer_pdf_Export -outdir /home/user *.doc

Is there anything missing that unoconv can support?  Would you be
interested in extending this mechanism, so that it has the unoconv
features?  [Eg. we cannot expand wildcards on Windows, if I am not
mistaken.]

That's cool. It should have been like this from the start :-) Having to start our own listener for communicating with UNO has been problematic from the start, mostly because it's not very stable.

The differences I see:

 - Remote conversions (only with shared storage)
 - No need to know the internal filter names
 - Possibility to provide filter options to filters
 - Possibility to apply styles/formats (from templates or other
     documents) during conversion
 - Output to stdout

I am not a C programmer, so I don't think I can be very useful.

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, info@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/