Note: The exclusion pattern was needed because I have noted that some perl
files are not using shebang, so the "file command"  cannot detect it as
executable.

But if a Perl (or some other) script doesn't start with a #!, then it isn't executable. It can't be
run as a command just by itself, the kernel (or Cygwin) doesn't know what interpreter to use. It
has to be passed on the command-line as a parameter to the intended interpreter. So, such files
should not have the executable bit set. Presumably they are run from the makefiles using an
explicit Perl interpreter.

Now, another question is then whether we should add a suitable #! line to such scripts, and change
the makefilery where necessary to just run them as commands? There probably are various
complications here that won't show up on most systems/platforms, but will show up on some.

Can you send me the git-hook pre-commit so I can try to modify it to make
this tests automatically?

I am no git expert, but it should be in your git clone, surely?

--tml