Hi Robert,

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 17:49 -0700, Robert Vaccaro wrote:
I'm new to hacking LibreOffice and would like to implement the Notes
(comments) toggling easyhack.  Before I begin working on it, is anyone
else currently working on this?  I don't want to duplicate effort.
 Also, is this easyhack still relevant from a UI perspective?

        Yes, it is still relevant. And wrt. duplicating effort I see Cor has
some mind-boggling plan to take a mutex on several un-disclosed fun easy
hacks for Thursday; Jan - Cor - if you want to do this - please add a
comment with a date next to the easy hack to avoid confusion (as the
page suggests).

I plan to stick to simple easyhacks/simple bugs until I get a better
feel for how everything works.

        So - it sucks to loose that; still - the good news is, that I have some
rather easy things that need doing, that perhaps you could do
instead ? :-)

        The first is to move:

        desktop/source/pagein/*
into
        desktop/unx/source

        and clean that up - we don't need to make or install a 'pagein' binary
I think after my re-work.

        Another simple hack, that might help startup time for some would be to
add some simple type detection for common file extensions per component
to:

        desktop/unx/source/args.c (args_parse)

        it would be great if this could do some simple work on extensions; eg.

        .odt / .fodt / doc / .docx should result in a @pagein-writer argument
getting returned. etc. [ we only really need that for the common cases
].

        This is one of the pieces that cannot be symlinked, so after running:

        'build' in desktop/ (source LinuxIntelEnv.Set.sh first)

        you'll need to do:

cp -af unxlngi6.pro/bin/ooqstart /path/to/install/program/ooqstart.bin

        And then to test the pagein you'll want to do:

        strace -f -e file ./soffice /tmp/foo.doc 2>&1 | grep pagein

        to see if it got the right pagein file :-)

        How does that sound ? is that something do-able ? [no one else has
it ;-].

        Of course, if you're not interested it'd be great to add them to the
easy hacks page.

        Anyhow - really great to have you involved, and looking forward to
seeing what you get up to :-) [ it is of course far cooler to have
people interested in improving the UI IMHO etc. ;-]

        Thanks !

                Michael.