On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 01:48 -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
I think the issue here is that if you make the top level default
target (all) mean 'build-only' you decrease the odd of the tests being
covered.

As a data point, post-merge of new build system stuff, passive component
registration and so forth a lot of the new tests are disabled at the
moment seeing as they need a bit of love to use the new passive reg, on
turning them on one at a time I see that...

a) smoketest merge went wrong, now fixed hopefully
b) i18npool merge went very wrong, regression test detected the failure,
now fixed hopefully
c) starmath had a (new?) bug which the regression test picked up, now
fixed.

Which argues to me that a test not run by default isn't worth a whole
pile if when I enable three tests all three tests immediately detect
regressions.

I've sympathy for the "linking the sw tests is *so* slow, can I skip the
unit test" argument, I wish I could have faith that people would run a
"make check", but the evidence so far is that few run the current "make
check" target :-(

C.