Hi Bjoern,

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 05:36:02AM +0100, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:17:34 +0100
Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org> wrote:

configure: error: no, GNU cp needed. install or specify
with --with-gnu-cp=/path/to/it

As the guy who changed that (back when I was still at Oracle): No, this
didnt introduce a new dependency on GNU cp -- it always was there.

Well, all my builds of the last few month were run without it.

There was a variable GNUCOPY in the old build system which everyone
expected to be GNU cp. The funny thing is: the build system would still
fall back to any cp it will find in most cases. Thus you could end up
with some POSIX cp in the variable GNUCOPY leading to very interesting
effects

AFAIK, there is (was?) some code to check for this and use correct arguments
for straight cp.
I agree the old build system was buggy: at one time I installed coreutils
and tried to use its included cp, specifying the full path but the scripts
still tried to use /bin/cp instead.

Once we get rid of the old build system we dont need to require GNU cp

Neat. Is there a timeframe for that ?

P.S.: Also note that the old build system did not always require GNU
cp. For example on OSX it did not (and configure should not complain
there).

I'm runnning DragonFly and the behavior has clearly changed. Should I
remove/change the test in configure.in ?

Kind Regards,

--
Francois Tigeot