On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen@canonical.com> wrote:
Hi Norbert,

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:06:00 -0600
Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com>
wrote:

I wonder, what's wrong with setting up ~/.ssh/config properly so that
you don't need to put a user in the .git/config ?
i.e:

Host *.freedesktop.org
User <user_name>
IdentityFile <path_to_your_private_key>

Most newcomers will have an anongit url and thus can not push to it.
But pulling via ssh is expensive and can be avoided by Thorstens
solution.

I think there is a confusion. I use pushurl in my config and encourage
its use, I actually patched ./g to support @REPO@ for that very
purpose: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2010-October/001348.html

I'm just saying that there is no need to add username@ at all in the
git config, _even_ for the pushurl entry.
and --set-push-user is misleading, what it really does is 'set the
pushurl of the 'origin' source to a ssh access to the 'canonical' git
repos, adding a probably not needed(1) user in front of it'

But, since it does not otherwise hinder any other functions of ./g, I
really don't mind that much :-)

Norbert

(1) If you did not setup your .ssh/config properly, the only way it
would work is if you used as your default ssh key the one used for
freedesktop.org, which is really not a good idea.

Best Regards,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen