Tor Lillqvist wrote:
(Sounds like a potentially good idea to me; I never fully
understood the logic of having the separate "product" vs.
"non-product" build dichotomy, and the one time I tried a
"non-product" build it failed miserably anyway.)

If we do this, can we then get rid of the ".pro" sufffix on the
build directories, too, please?

Hm, no really strong opinion on that one, but at least this is the
rationale - a non-product build is there to have compile-time extra
debug / sanity checks in it, like for example stlport debug - and
individual stuff, usually specific to subsystems or applications.

At least for the code that I know, those have been proven quite
helpful at times, nicely complementing valgrind (by e.g. pointing
out mem clobberage that went into already-allocated areas, and was
thus not noticed by valgrind). And for me, --enable-dbgutil builds,
on the platform I work on.

Now, you prolly don't want this debug code shipped, since it adds
substantial overhead (at times) - ideally, we'd have unit tests for
all those things now handled by in-line debug code, but we're not
quite there yet, so I'd be a bit reluctant with axing non-pro ...

My 2 cents,

-- Thorsten