Hi Ged,

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 15:06 +0100, Ged Wed wrote:
whats the support for doing a web based open office ?
Ajax based with a restful JSON or XML model.

        Well, it is not an impossibly bad idea :-)

I am asking because this seems like such a good move.
Libre Office would then have a very compelling solution that neither
google Docs or MS Office can really compete against.

        Riight; except they are already in the market place - which makes us at
least two years away from there, even if we had a product now :-)

- what is important is that both the fat client and the thin client
are both adapted towards the client / server model together. This
makes both version easy to maintain, change control, testing etc

        Well - since we have a fat client; I would personally focus on two
things:

        a) feature parity between fat and web client
                + no-one else does this.
                + fat client for off-line, web for (who? ;-)

        b) abandon hope of off-line web editing: that's why you have the
           fat client right ? :-)

        which means, we have to re-use the fat client on the web server; that
means all sorts of good things: we need to make it smaller, more
reliable, faster to start, etc. etc.

        and it also makes some things a lot easier; IMHO doing remote rendering
by cutting at VCL and proxying rendering (wherever possible) to a remote
canvas, -might- work in semi-linear time.

        I'm thinking a re-hash of:

        http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2010/11/23/gtk3-vs-html5/

        Though of course VCL's rendering APIs are (now) substantially less
pleasant than gtk+'s.

        HTH,

                Michael.