in binfilter as read-only filters (using as filter flag
SFX_FILTER_OPENREADONLY defined as 0x00010000L) This will make the
opening read-only. By this way, this is not possible any more to save

IIRC the resolution was a bit different ;-)
you are right:-)

This way the user will be
unable to modify the document, unless she uses the 'create copy'
possibility, right?
Exact, or first SaveAs and choosing another format.

The proposal was to load it so that it is read/write, but issue a
warning like "The format of the file you opened is legacy, and [...]
As... menu (and consequently from Save).

remove EXPORT from filter/source/config/fragments/filters/StarWriter_5_0.xcu

Tested. It works (almost) fine. And since there is no EXPORT anymore,
the filter is not available in SaveAs, and when clicking Save, you get
the SaveAs pop-up automatically. But I have 2 points:

Thus, there is a major difference: With READONLY, no lock-file is
generated when the file is openend. With filter without the EXPORT, the
lock-file is still generated.... This comes during the load process,
where the SfxMedium::IsReadOnly() function is called in order to decide
if this lock-file has to be created or not.(Not spotted the exact place yet)

Actually, I think this is not a correct behaviour. If the filter is not
EXPORT; there is no reason to create the lock-file ? or ???
Should I consider changing the code of the loading part, in order to not
create a lock-file if the filter has not EXPORT properties? From file
point of view, this is the same case: you can not save this file "as-is".

Second issue I see: (I just though of it right now, did not yet test /
investigate): with opening in read/write and without EXPORT filter, what
happens with the auto-save option, after some changes have been done?
The filter, despite write is not usable (no export). ...

So ideally could it be: not export, READONLY and pop-up ?? :- /

c) it seems there are elements in the sfx2 of binfilter that are still
called, generated, but have no impact on the running system.

Yes - I think Caolan's callcatches might help you here a lot.
Though of it and looked, but actually not in the above case.

As outlined above, my favorite approach would be to 'disconnect' the
binfilter from the save functionality first, add the dialog on open, and
dialog pop-up just at the end of loading the document ? will search for
the right place.

I hope I helped a bit,
yes thanks
please ask more if not really :-)