On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:11:29 -0800, Kohei Yoshida <kyoshida@novell.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 13:06 -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
Experts already know what "Update links?" means; non-experts will not
understand enough to answer the question correctly even with improved
wording.

I disagree here.  You tend to polarize the users as either experts or
non-experts.  There are those in between who want to make an informed
decision and will understand the verbiage.  The user who reported the
above bug is one such example.

Is it possible to remove the dialog? I think I prefer not to have
anything automatically updated and have a menu item to update it.

Rationale:
[1] if data is there and it's the same, it doesn't make sense to update.
[2] if data is not there, it doesn't make sense to update.
[3] if data is there and differs, the only way to see the old data is
to hit "no".

Now, how would users be able to refresh links? Through a menu item.

Of course, users should be notified that there is existing external
resources. If LibO can notify that external resources have changed,
it would be even better.