I just noticed my patch uses 0755 instead of 0775 as well - I'm not sure why
you'd give group write access but that's what the original does.

Regards
Steve

On 2010-12-20 at 10:06, <stevenb@kjross.com.au> wrote:
Without knowing much about it, I'd assumed that it might have set the
"Read
& Execute" permission on the windows file.

Note that file protection (and protection of all other "objects", too) is
not anything like the POSIX set of rwx permissions for owner, group and
others. Windows uses ACLs for evertything. Windows ACLs are very different
than POSIX and can be boundlessly complex (as opposed to the fixed set of
mode bits in POSIX). Cygwin programs running on a Windows machine kinda live
in a separate world from normal Win32 programs running on the machine.

Cygwin, as it is a POSIX emulation layer, or actually more like a hosted
guest OS layer, has to emulate the POSIX rwxrwxrwx bits by creating such a
view "out of thin air"  as a "best guess" for existing files. When setting
the POSIX mode of a new file created by a Cygwin program, or moduifying it
with the Cygwin chmod() "system call", it has to create a potentially quite
obscure ACL to get the intended semantic end result as viewed from the
Cygwin universe.

And when I say obscure, I do mean it; that if you manipulate the same files
using both Cygwin chmod etc commands, and normal Windows Explorer protection
setting GUI, you can end up in very weird situations.

As the DLLs in question that the installer-builder handles are not related
to Cygwin at all, have been created by Win32 programs like the MS linker
etc, and are to be used by a Win32 program (LibreOffice), I fail to see why
any manipulation of their (emulated) Cygwin mode would be needed at all.

--tml

--
Regards,
Steve Butler