On 03/12/10 10:48, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 10:28 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
Where do I start :-)

Seeing as Base is where I want to work, this seems an obvious thing to
do. I'm guessing that building without Java, then running some tests
(smoketest? what?) and seeing what breaks is a good idea.
I think the typical thoughts around this are to either change the
default backend for base to be sqlite instead of hsqldb (which is where
the java dependency comes in) or come up with a new backend written in
C++ which can manipulate existing hsqldb format databases.

If you dig around for "sqlite-sdbc-driver" or something like that you
should find various examples at dba.openoffice.org of various backends
to play with and get a feel for what needs to be implemented in one.

Thanks. I'll have a dig around.

That's actually getting in a bit deeper and quicker than I planned but
hey ho - the best way to learn is to jump in the deep end :-)

My long term plan was to implement an NF2 back end, but if I get sqlite
working that'll be good preparation.

(If you want to get me started on the failings of relational, expect a
LONG rant !!! :-)

Okay, here goes ...

Cheers,
Wol