Beware - I am a newcomer - maybe my point of view is quite wrong due to
lack of understanding. But then at least I will understand something
better :- )

My first remark: stepping in seems to me to be very difficult despite
the very friendly behaviour of people here.

un-documented code-base is an incredibly valuable one - it turns out
most commercial code-bases are a total mess internally; LibreOffice is
nothing special.

Gnap... depend of which software you are speaking, then... For having
(to) read a lot of code in a big software, I can say that
this one (I mean this commercial one) at least is well documented and
quite well written. And no, I do not work for them:- )

IMHO we cannot and should not put a break on writing that
just to improve merge-ability,
Why not drop merging from OOO after LibO 3.3?  As newcomer, I have read
x times "not here due to merge / not touch due to merge"... Then I am
reluctant to touch some parts...At least, the burden should be on side
of person merging OOo into LibO, not be of a concern for people
contributing to LibO.

enable the re-factoring that can make our APIs both
pretty and intuitive over time,
I think would very help any newcomer stepping in. Currently hunting
warning, I do it deliberately in order to get used to the code and uses.
But even there, sometimes I skip the point, not being able after
following the function calling the function calling... and determining
for sure that the change would have a cross effect. And I do not even
tried yet to change a feature.
Deliberate choice from me, clear, but yeah...
Regards