At 5:32am -0500 Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Michael Meeks wrote:
Might be a good easy-hack; how we tell the user in an unobtrusive
way that this has happened, I don't know - some good UI ideas there
appreciated; the 'status bar' is not such a great plan I suspect for
this. "alpha transparent, hovering notifications" are a nice idea
too but ... ;-)

Ooh, good call! Though I think we'd need to further spec out what we'd like to happen. See below.

Yeah, I don't see the value in this warning at all but if it is
useful at all to anybody I would think a less obtrusive, after the
fact quiet notification that existing date was overwritten would
make more sense to me.

I wonder if switching the polarity of the check-box - so it is checked
might help people 'see' it, and thus un-check it to get rid of it
(some Mozilla dialogs do that I guess ?).

Switching the check box polarity is a good start but now that I think about it, having a pop-up at all as the default case is the problem. The thought process for the information bar was that it *is* noticed, but also can be ignored. My issue with a pop up that demands attention is that it now messes with my workflow. When I'm in the middle of solving a problem, however small, I want to take it completion. With the pop up, I have to stop and respond. With the ignorable information bar, I can note it, but get to whatever the issue is on my own terms.

Thoughts?

Kevin