Hi Andrew,

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 12:08 +0100, Andrew C. E. Dent wrote:
Ah ! ;-) out of interest, how many of these do we have still ?

From a quick count, only ~150 or so... (!)

        Nice - only 150 duplicated icons. I've added an easy hack for this, we
should fix in the code first [ it should be easy ].

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks#don.27t_ship_150_duplicate_placeholder_icons

Sounds like an excellent plan. A few years back I started the task of
stripping out HC icons, but this sometimes caused crashes as the fall
back mechanism (currently just leaves a blank), doesn't always
work...

        Right - if we can provide some more details to motivate people in that
task into the other icon task after that; "un-screw-up accessible
icon..." that might motivate people to look at that.

        It badly needs doing, and we can save a chunk of memory, download
bandwidth etc. etc. doing that - we currently duplicate the HC icons in
every theme (I think) ;-)

This is a code task that I don't currently have time for, but would
make a good Easy Hack wiki addition.

        Be great to get some numbers into there - eg. the difference in
images.zip file size with and without the hc icons.

        Thanks !

                Michael.