I was going to patch it to do a 'tar --same-owner' instead,

Hmm, you mean --no-same-owner?

Same thing, no?

No. If you are (or Cygwin *thinks* you are) root (have uid=0), tar will chown files after
extraction unless you specified --no-same-owner. If you aren't root, tar will chown if you specify
--same-owner. So specifying --same-owner when you are root (which is what I think you meant) is
pointless.

Okay, it seems that if I have no instances of rxvt running, and start one,
I get uid 0, and the build fails. If I have one instance of rxvt running
and start a second, I get uid 1004, and the build succeeds. I have no idea
why - anyone else encountered this?

Sorry, nope. For me that has always worked fine, Cygwin has never mistaken me to be superuser if I
use my normally powered Windows account.

What does your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files look like?

Where would be an appropriate place to check the uid and fail with a
useful hint?

I think the "inner" configure.in (clone/bootstrap/configure.in) would be the best place. Or even
build.pl (clone/bootstrap/solenv/bin/build.pl).

--tml